Monday, February 1, 2021

what's up

 My daughter just had a birthday, so now we've all had quarantine birthdays.  I told her that it's possible she will have only one quarantine birthday - for the rest of us, it looks like we'll be going a second round. 

Vaccine rollout here in NJ has been pretty pathetic.  There are still people in the 65+ category who can't get appointments, my mother-in-law being one of them.  Now that the requirements have been opened up to people 16-64 with certain conditions, it's a total mess.  I don't expect to be vaccinated until summer. 

Right now we are getting hammered with snow.  So far we have over a foot, and it's not supposed to stop until tomorrow.  We've gotten several snowstorms this winter.  It's reminding me of the snow we used to get when I was a kid.

Outside my window, ready for a snow tea party.

The SO (significant other) is NEVER home when we get storms.  The only one he didn't miss was Hurricane Sandy, which was good, but COME ON!  Every time!  That's 34 years of ditching me in bad weather, 24 years of it with kids and dogs!  But I say this tongue-in-cheek, really.  It doesn't bother me that much... And in case you're wondering, yes, he still travels for his work.  There are very complicated and elaborate systems in place for his traveling, including a lot of Covid testing.  He's had more Q-tips up his nose than anyone I know.  So far, so good.  The new variants popping up make me nervous though.

Not long after we moved in, we set up a home office in the basement.  I always felt a little isolated down there, so this past weekend I decided to move my part into our bedroom.  So I stole his desk and moved it upstairs for me to use.  These are the kinds of things I do to get my revenge for his being away. 😉  

My son is still doing college at home online.  Honestly, sometimes I forget he's still in school.  My daughter has been doing editing work for Scribbr, which is an online proofreading and editing service for documents such as research papers, PhD dissertations, and the like.  The other night she was working on some crazy 8-page scientific document.  Nobody had any idea what any of it meant.  When I was in college, I used to type papers for grad students.  I laugh when I think about how old that makes me sound now.  But hey, I used to charge $75, and that was good money then.  By the way, I still love to type.

I've been wondering what my next move will be once I can be out and about.  I've got some ideas that I might share in future posts.  Really though, the first thing I want to do is just hang out on a beach somewhere.  


4 comments:

  1. My 92 year old aunt and 94 year old uncle were diagnosed with Covid last month. They live in Fort Lee, NJ. They are both okay now, but have not received their vaccines. That's CRAZY. We're still doing the 75+ age group here in California and hoping that the 65+ group will come soon. Roger got his first shot 10 days ago. I still have to wait for mine. I can't imagine having a job that requires traveling during this pandemic. Your SO is a very brave man. I hope he stays safe and healthy. I hope the same for you and your family. Challenging times in every way. Take care there, and WOW that's a lot of snow. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm so glad to hear your aunt and uncle are doing well now. They must have some great genes, but the fact that they haven't gotten their vaccines is nuts. My mother lives in NC and is getting her second one tomorrow. I'm getting to the point now where I wish the SO didn't have to travel. We've been dealing with it ok, but my daughter worries a lot. We just keep our fingers crossed. And the snow... still coming down like crazy.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon, how good to see your post! I've been watching all that snow you are getting on the news. Your are really getting buried. I love the snowy tea party. Happy Birthday to your daughter! I hope she had a nice one.

    I understand you moving your office upstairs. I used to have a sewing room in our basement and after a few years I moved it upstairs into our guest room. I don't have as much space there but I'd rather be upstairs.

    It sounds like your whole family is staying busy with work and school. I can't imagine your husband traveling in the weather you have now but I guess he is used to it. I bet he does get tired of those covid tests however it is good he is getting them and I hope he continues to stay safe.

    The vaccine roll out has been sad here is Missouri too. So far they've only done 6% of the state total including medical workers. We are over 65 but don't expect to see a vaccine anytime soon the way it's going.

    Do you still have your dog you had mentioned before? I hope you and your family are staying well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although our basement isn't finished, there is heat, and we've made it kind of a nice space. It was ok during the summer (with a/c too) because I could keep the windows open, but during the winter, it just seems dark and dismal. And yes, I still have crazy Ivy. She LOVES the snow, although the second time she went out today, I thought I might have to rescue her. It's almost as high as she is.

      Delete