Tuesday, July 7, 2020

sharon's harmony hut, ii

I have a half-written post about a song that took me back to a particular point in time.  Things came up, and I haven't finished it yet.

This morning I woke up and did my usual run through of Facebook and Twitter.  Within ten minutes, I was pretty certain today would be a day I need to avoid the interwebs.  I just don't have it in me to deal with all the crap going on.  Some days I can handle it.  I think I'm too fragile and tired today.

However, there was on post on Twitter that may be my saving grace.

David Lemieux does a show called 'Today in Grateful Dead History' on the SiriusXM Grateful Dead channel.  I love the show and follow him on Twitter.  Today he posted this:


I was at that show.  I had friends who traveled the country following the Dead.  I considered myself a super fan, but I didn't stray far from NJ to see them - maybe as far north as Massachusetts, as far south as Northern Virginia, and as far west as the middle of Pennsylvania.  JFK stadium was less than an hour away from my house, so you know I was there.  I went with my usual crew: Stevie G, Jenny R, Suzanne S, and Turtle.  Someday I'll have to dedicate a whole post to Turtle.  He is worthy of it.

It was HOT.  I think every Dead show I went to was in the middle of summer.  I don't remember ever being cold at one.

Those who know the Dead know that there were some shows when Jerry just wasn't on his game.  This show was not one of them.  They were spectacular.  It was so good, in fact, that the recording of it was released on an album called, "Crimson, White & Indigo."

I looked up JFK stadium on Wikipedia and found this:

Six days after the Grateful Dead's 1989 show, then-Mayor Wilson Goode condemned the stadium due to multiple findings by city inspectors that the structure was structurally unsafe and a potential fire hazard. Just hours before the concert, city inspectors discovered piles of combustible materials, numerous electrical problems, and crumbling concrete. There had been reports of falling concrete for some time before then. The Grateful Dead concert was allowed to go ahead due to strict no-smoking regulations that had been enacted some time before. Renovating and repairing the stadium was quickly ruled out, and it was demolished on September 23, 1992.

Hahaha.  I'm surprised we survived.

So there it is.  I started the day off sad and tired, but once again, the Grateful Dead picked me up.  If you are feeling blue, sit back and give this clip from that iconic 7/7/89 show a watch.  It's hard to feel bad.  You may even feel like dancing a little.





4 comments:

  1. How cool to have this come up on the very day you needed it the most! I love it, and I love all the memories of the many concerts I have gone to as well. My husband has a T-shirt that says "I may be old but at least I saw all the good bands." Our generation did have the privilege of knowing all those good bands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We listened to the song and danced! Roger is a Dead-Head from way back in the day. The first Dead show he went to was on January 13, 1967 in Berkeley, CA. It was a show with The Mamas and The Papas. He's been to many, many show. My first and only Dead show was at The Fillmore East in the late 60s. It was great. We always listen to music while we have dinner, and tonight we played our Grateful Dead playlist and raised our wine glasses to you and The Dead. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, you have no idea how happy I am to know that you danced and raised your glasses to me and The Dead! I'm honored!!

      To have seen The Dead with The Mamas and The Papas...wow, I would have loved that. I also would have loved to see them at the Fillmore East.

      Delete