Thursday, January 16, 2020

i get up early

This is what most of my mornings look like.

Getting ready to read some of my favorite blogs
As I mentioned here, I have very little recollection of my last dog as a puppy.  I do remember that when I first brought her home, I set an alarm and took her outside in the middle of the night, but I don't remember how old she was when I stopped doing that.  I also don't remember when I stopped crating her and let her sleep overnight out in the house.  What I do remember though is that she slept until I came downstairs in the morning, and if that meant I didn't wake up until 9:00, she didn't wake up until 9:00.

Not so with Miss Ivy.

From day one, she's been waking up between 5-5:30 am.  I thought by now she'd stretch it until at least 6:30, but no.  She seems to love that 5:00 hour.

There was a time in my life when I'd be rolling in the house at 4 or 5 am after a night of debauchery.  I'll admit that I'm glad those days are over.  I had what I lovingly refer to as my "two major benders" in my lifetime, one in my 20's and the other in my 40's.  I'm not sure which one was worse.  I did some crazy shit in both, and for the most part, I can laugh about it.  I'm actually laughing a little as I type this.  These days I rarely ever want a drink.  I guess I got it all out of my system.

But back to Ivy.  When I first got her, she was raring to go the minute I let her out of the crate.  I was not.  In fact, I was downright angry.  I bitched and moaned and complained about her waking up so freaking early.  Then I noticed one day that I was starting to get used to it.  Then I bitched and moaned and complained about how I was getting used to it.

I can be somewhat impossible.  Just ask my SO (that's short for Significant Other).

Ivy is almost six months old now, and she's not as raring to go as she was a few months back.  When I let her out of the crate, she goes outside first thing, but when she comes back in, she doesn't race around or grab her toys or get all up in my business anymore.  She curls up and falls back to sleep.  I make my coffee, give her the stink eye for falling back asleep while I'm wide awake, and open my computer to catch up on some reading.

And you know what?  I'm kind of liking the peacefulness and quiet.  I guess you could say that I'm liking getting used to it.

Now that's not to say that I wouldn't rather she sleep until about 7:00, but there's something kind of fun about listening to the world around you when it's super quiet in the house.

For instance, I can hear the train, and I've determined that whoever the conductor is, he's pissed off that he has to work so early in the morning because he lays on that horn for the entire time the train is passing through town.  He seems to want EVERYONE to be awake too.

I get it, dude. I totally get it.

I always wonder about the handful of people who drive down the street to the main road.  What are their jobs?  Where are they going so early?

I know exactly whose dogs are barking.  I've got the Hound of the Baskervilles behind me and the Bark Twins down the street.  Sometimes the Bark Twins set off another round of dogs a few more streets down, so it's obvious that I'm not the only one awake with the beasts.

In a few months, it will start getting lighter around 6:00 am.  I'm already looking forward to taking the dog out for early morning walks.  Maybe I'll take my camera.  But with my luck, that'll be when she starts sleeping in.

We'll see.







6 comments:

  1. It's been so many years since I've had a dog, I've forgotten the whole routine of having to get up in the night to let them out. There is something about those dark morning hours that are so quietly beautiful. We waken at 5:45 almost every morning, sometimes even earlier. Yes, soon there will be light to greet us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like observing. I like seeing what goes on early morning and late at night.

      Delete
  2. I'm not an early riser but I guess if I had a dog I might be! We do have two cats and they will wake us up but normally they will go back to sleep or go off and play. My favorite part of retirement is not having to get up early and rush around in the morning. But I admit I would get more done if I got up at 6:00 maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I get more done if I wake earlier. The day feels longer though, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. I guess dogs are like children...some are early risers no matter what and some are not...and some change over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope this one changes at some point. Thanks for reading!

      Delete