Wednesday, January 1, 2020

2020

I can't believe it's 2020.  Really.  I remember when I was in 5th grade math class, we had to figure out how old we'd be in the year 2000.  When I calculated that I'd be 35, I couldn't imagine being that old.

Yet, here I am in 2020.

So I've been thinking about blogging for awhile now.  I've had blogs before.  The first blog I ever had was, oh... about 13 years ago.  That was a personal blog.  On that blog, I used to have a weekly post where I'd review a new beer I tried.  It got so popular that it morphed into its own blog.  That really took off, and not long after I started it, people and even some companies were sending me beers to review.  My entire basement fridge was loaded with beer.  My significant other didn't complain.

I ran that blog for a couple of years, but it started to get a little overwhelming and hard to keep up with, so I ended it.  After a short hiatus, I went back to personal blogging, but that was mainly a photo blog.  I had fun with that, but I started getting really busy with work, so that blog fell by the wayside.  My last blog was just a random blog, in fact, it was called "My Utterly Random Blog."  To paraphrase Jerry Seinfeld, it was a blog about nothing.  I really enjoyed that one, but it hit the skids after I hit the skids after the election of 2016.  Not only did I fall into a pretty deep depression, I found out through blogging that some of the people I'd become internet friends with had some pretty disturbing political views that conflicted severely with mine.  Honestly, that election made a person figure out who his friends were and were not.

So I ended the blog.  And unfortunately I had to end a few "friendships" in the process.

But I've missed blogging.  I missed connecting in the way only the interwebs can provide.  I kept up reading the blogs I enjoyed, but just commenting sometimes didn't feel like enough.  So after some hesitation, I figured I'd give it another whirl.  Like my previous blog, this one will probably be pretty much just random stuff.  I hope to post on a fairly regular basis.

I don't intend on getting political.  That's not to say I won't express my opinions if I feel like it, but really...there's enough crap going on out there to read about and talk about.  I'm not using this blog to hide from reality, but a good distraction is necessary.  It's distraction that has kept me mildly sane these past four years.

So I hope to gather some readers and some friends.  Let's see where 2020 takes us.

Thanks for reading.


5 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the blogging world, Sharon. I was hoping you'd start up again. I understand why you stopped; it's been quite a time of it these past four years. I'm looking forward to your photos, your stories, and your perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon! You left a comment on my blog. Thank you! When I came to check out your blog I found an interesting coincidence. You started this blog on January 1, 2020. That's when I started mine. We have also each made three posts so far, on the same dates. Well, I thought it was interesting. ; ) Oh and your second post was about your dog. My second post was about my two cats.

    Anyway, I see you've had blogs before. That's great and your experience should help you with this one. I have not had one before so I'm still learning and probably not doing all that well with it. I retired a few years ago and started following blogs then so I do know some other bloggers and I guess they gave me the bug to try it out.

    Your blog is great - I'm glad I found it!

    Take care,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Fun coincidences indeed. I never stopped reading my favorite blogs after I deleted mine; I just didn't comment much. Even though I've had blogs before, getting readers is kind of a slow process. Sometimes you wind up feeling like you're talking to yourself.

      Delete
  3. I meant to add - the election of 2016 hit me pretty hard in a negative way too. How could it happen? Many of us were in shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh, well I feel you pain. I think one of the worst things (and it's so hard to choose a worst thing) is that I, and many others, have learned to live with this horrific situation. We all fight it in our own ways, but being sad, angry, and fearful is exhausting. I've come to embrace distraction. It's necessary.

      Delete